As you may or may not recall, I have a reading plan this year in which I assigned each month a different genre, and then I read a book from my To Be Read List from that genre during that month. This is what I've read so far:
1. science fiction -- The Time Machine and I Am Legend
2. biography -- My Life in France (Julia Child)
3. book written in the past year -- Genius of Place: The Life of Frederick Law Olmsted
4. scientific non-fiction -- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks
5. historical fiction -- The Night Birds
6. humor -- I'm A Stranger Here Myself: Notes on Returning to America After 20 Years
7. political/satire -- A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court
8. classic -- The Good Earth (still reading)
11. young adult
As you may have noticed, I'm still on the August book and we are almost finished with September, so I'm about a month behind. This is due to a lot of reasons, including the fact that I've joined a book club and need to read for that as well. Plus, I've read a lot of books not on this list. In fact, I've read 21 books so far this year, so it's not like I'm not reading, I'm just not achieving my book list goals. Anyway, I like the idea that I'll be reading a thriller in October. What a great month for it!
Even though I'm on track to read fewer books than I did last year, I feel like I'm reading a lot. Plus, I've read a wide variety of books this year, including some categories I never used to choose (biographies, in particular). I'll wait to summarize my reading list experience in December, when I decide what I'll do for next year, but so far, I'm liking my silly little goal.