Ethan asked me the other day if I'd thought about what kind of dog I want to get. I told him the following criteria:
1. It must be good with other dogs
2. It must be good with kids
3. It shouldn't shed too much. Fortunately, a lot of small dogs do not shed too much. Poodles, bichon frises, and scotties all do not shed. I do not think terriers shed too much either.
4. It can't be too aggressive (which goes hand in hand with 1 and 2).
5. It should be young, although I would prefer not a puppy. I don't want a senior pet -- they get expensive a lot faster, and I just put my cat to sleep. I don't want to have to put my dog to sleep in a year or two.
I have been looking around for dogs. There aren't too many available at the pound or with Friends of Pets that would fit our criteria. Kitty and K9 connection has more, but they seem to be less kid-friendly.
Anyway, Ethan leaves tomorrow for a trip to CA, so we can't look at anything until he comes back. Maybe by then there will be more options.