Saturday, October 13, 2007

Science Fiction, Double Feature

So, my friend's World-Famous Halloween Party is coming up, and I have to think of a costume. The theme this year is Science Fiction. I love thinking about this stuff! Here's what I've come up with so far:
Judy Jetson
the robot from Lost in Space (Danger, Will Robinson!)
the transmogrifiers (from the Fly, via The Simpsons)
Kang and Kodos (The Simpsons, again)
the robot from The Day the Earth Stood Still
(Wo)Man in Black
HAL from 2001: A Space Odyssey
one of the aliens from Galaxy Quest
Barbarella (I ruled this out once I actually saw images from Barbarella. I'm not that slutty)
Storm from the X-Men (or one of the other X-Men)
the Coneheads
Mindy (a la Mork and Mindy)
the air vaccuumer from Space Balls
an ape (Planet of the Apes)
a Sleestack from Land of the Lost
Mothra
that lobstery guy from Futurama
also, Bender from Futurama (can you tell I love the robot thing?)
that girl from Small Wonder (again with the robots)

Unfortunately, I kind of blew my costume load when I went out with my friends last night by saying most of my ideas. Here are the criteria: I must know who they are (which rules out characters from Firefly or Dr. Who), I have to be able to sit down in the costume (bye, bye Danger Will Robinson), it has to make sense by itself (so, no Mindy from Mork and Mindy), and finally, it has to be somewhat original (which rules out pretty much any Star Wars or Star Trek character). (These are all self-imposed criteria, by the way).

So, um, do you think Get Smart counts as Science Fiction? I could be Agent 99. Or I could be Emma Peel from the Avengers. Must think some more.

As an aside, one of my friends came up with the brilliant idea that he and his other friend could show up as two presidents. I was like, what is it about Science Fiction that you don't get? Presidents are neither science, nor fiction. They're real history. So then everyone laughed at him, which he did not find quite so funny. But that's what he gets for coming up with stupid ideas.

As another aside, when I mentioned Mothra the other night, I got a bunch of blank stares. Who are these people I hang out with? How is it possible they don't know who Mothra is? Note to self: find new friends, preferably nerdier ones.

Final parting thought: when they finally make a robot that can do your household chores, I am sooooo buying one! Yeah, I don't care how much it costs. And I'm naming it Jeeves.

2 comments:

pollyhyper said...

I can't be friends with you again until you watch Firefly. ;)

L said...

Well, then I guess I better get out and rent it!