Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Holy, Holy, Holy

I got this spiritual survey from Ethan's friend's blog (GNP 3.0). I thought I would post the results here because I found them interesting, and I thought Ethan in particular, would as well.

You Are a Thinker

Thinkers are people who naturally connect with the Holy One through the use of their intellect. They want to clearly understand their faith and appreciate having logical explanations for what they are asked to believe. They will read and study, alone or with others, in order to better grasp the truth of their faith. They believe that God wants them to discover the order that may seem hidden in the more abstract aspects of religious faith. They seek to relate to the Holy One through thinking, study, and discussion. They tend to be more formal in their prayer. If they were to meet God face to face, they would want to discuss with God how they have come to understand their faith.


I think this is a good description of how I believe in God. As a scientist, I'm always questioning and looking for answers. Contrary to popular belief, science and religion are not exclusionary. I am amazed every day by science, which leads to my faith in God. And when I have doubts, I use them to explore an area of my faith I am unfamiliar with and find what I feel is a logical answer.

Of course, belief in God always comes down to one thing: faith. Because ultimately, I don't think we'll ever find proof that there is or isn't a God.

The part about being formal in prayer is a little less accurate. My prayers are less formal and more desparate: "Please God, get me off this airplane alive" is a good example. :)

One last thing; the end of the quiz recommended some books to read. To my surprise, I had actually read and liked one of them. So I guess the quiz really was pretty accurate, for me.

OK, enough religious stuff. I'm not going to get all evangelical in my blog, I promise.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's not surprising you're a "thinker". I tried to take that quiz, but none of the answers really fit my thoughts on the matter. To the quiz, you're either an atheist, or someone who believes in a higher power, and there's little in between. At least, it seemed like that to me. I have trouble believing that my views on God are terribly unique.

And...you spelled desperate wrong! Yar har! Pirate spellchecker strikes again...

L said...

I would actually argue that the quiz is not for atheists either. I mean, there are no questions about not believing in God. It pretty much assumes that if you are taking the quiz, you believe in God. And you're right, it means God as in a being, specifically.

I don't actually recommend the quiz if you're interested in finding out what kind of spiritualist (vs. believer) you are.