Thursday, July 29, 2010

Welcome to the Jungle

There's this bird in my neighborhood that has a call like "Ooh-ooh-ooh-ah-ah-ah". I can never see it so I've been wondering about it because it's such an unusual call. We were talking about birds the other night (the Jamie Oliver night), and I happened to mention that my neighborhood had some kind of crazy monkey bird. The other girls were like "Crazy monkey bird?" and I said, "Yeah, it sounds like a monkey!" and then I imitated the call. At which point all the girls said, "Oh, that's a kookaburra!" So I have kookaburras in my neighborhood! Awesome!

If you want to hear the call, click on the MP3 link about 3/4 of the way down on the right on this page.

6 comments:

Lynn said...

It does sound like a monkey! We used to sing a song about the Kookaburra when a was just a wee tot in school. I still remember the words!

Lisa said...

That is AWESOME!!!

L said...

Lynn, I think I learned the same song in Girl Scouts. It has been running through my head ever since I found out the bird was a Kookaburra!

Carlw4514 said...

but can you take a regular dose of that? [g]

I'd love a certain amount of that noise, but not all night long or something. How is that going?

Once Sue and I stayed at a Maine lake where loons were calling all the time. The "dose" was perfect, I still have fond thoughts about that.

L said...

According to the website, they only make that noise as a warning, so they really haven't been doing it all that much. Still, it can kind of go for a long time when they do it, which is a bit annoying.

I do like the call of loons and would prefer to hear that.

Unknown said...

so...there was no "comment" button for your Eels post...so i'm commenting here...

they played in toronto a couple years back, and i dragged tim to the show. i was so, so, so excited...because i also love them/him.

the show was nothing what i expected...though it was really very cool. we got there early enough to see a video about e's dad and his theories...mind blowing. then, just e and another guy performed...loved it. the only minus was that they didn't play "mr. e's beautiful blues" which is the best song...imo :)

i'm not sure tim is a convert, but he appreciated their talent. anyway...hope you get to go...and hope you enjoy