Friday, April 03, 2009

One reason I've been AWOL lately

Okay, there's been a lot of interesting stuff going on here (volcanic eruptions, ski train, IMET stuff) but I feel the need for a cathartic post, so that's what you're getting instead.

I am really, really, worried about my final project for school. I don't think I posted on here, but in summary, I am comparing two different methods of forecasting relative humidity. This is something I am doing at work (with their approval), with the idea of determining which method is the best to use in the office.

The problem is, my advisor has a lot of questions about my data. Like, how can I compare two different seasons? And questions about my sampling techniques. Which basically are none -- I am using every possible data point because we just don't have that many. But I feel like I am not answering his questions in a satisfactory way. It doesn't help that he's from Taiwan and that there is a language barrier there. Sometimes I don't even understand what he's asking me.

I told my friend I feel like there is a 40% chance this project will not pass his interrogation, or the defense (there's still a defense, even though it's not a thesis). And 40% is a big chance, especially since if it fails, I'll be back at square one. Part of me totally wants to give up, except that I've dragged my whole office into this thing. I guess the good thing is that I will get results I can use in the office, regardless of whether the results are accepted for school or not.

Ugh. I feel sick.

No comments: