Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Ho-lee Crap

BP and Conoco-Phillips announced today that they are combining forces to build an Alaska natural gas pipeline. This gas pipeline thing has been thrown around for the past 3 or 4 years, and nothing had come of it. Frankly, I didn't think anything ever would. In spite of the fact that Ethan works for BP, we had no idea this was coming.

I'm really interested to see what happens. Will the pipeline actually get built? Will this be a big boom for Alaska, a la the 1970s when the original gas pipeline was built? Will Ethan be able to get a job on the pipeline team?

This also throws another item into the mix with regards to whether we leave the state anytime soon or not. Part of the reason we stopped house hunting is that we're still talking about leaving the state in a couple of years. But if Ethan wants/is able to get involved with the gas pipeline, those plans might change.

And so I'm wondering: what does all this mean for me? How will Ethan's career plans affect mine? Will we stay or will we go?

Sometimes I wish I had a crystal ball so I would know what's going to happen. But then life would be missing all of its fun and mystery.

No comments: