Monday, March 24, 2008

T.V. Musings

Tonight, I watched How I Met Your Mother. Oddly, the first time I saw this show, I really hated it. But it grew on me, and now I really find it quite funny.

Anyway, the main character (Ted) was having a conversation with a girl he liked (who was played by the girl who plays Elliot on Scrubs) and it was all about terrible movies. Ted said that he had just watched the worst movie ever, and Stella said "Plan 9 From Outer Space?" and Ted said "No, Manos, the Hands of Fate". Worst movies ever! And I have seen them both. In fact, I am the proud owner these two of the worst movies ever, courtesy of the Best Husband Ever. Ethan bought me Manos, the Hands of Fate as a surprise after I had spent about 6 months looking at the local videos stores for it. Even better, it's a bootlegged version. How awesome is that? A terrible copy of a terrible movie. It really doesn't get any better.

I think my MIL thinks I'm crazy. Ethan sent Plan 9 From Outer Space to me as a gift when he was in Kuwait. I opened the package in front of his mom, and when she asked me about it I was said "This movie is supposed to be terrible! It has horrible special effects and is one of the worst movies EVER! I'm so excited!" Of course, her reaction was "Ohhhh....." She didn't really understand why Ethan sent me a terrible movie, or why this was actually a really great gift. But that's why I love my husband -- he knows exactly what I like, and why.

Tonight on t.v. I also saw a trailer for a new movie based on the book Bringing Down the House. If you are not familiar with the book, it is a true story about a club at M.I.T. that figured out a way to win at Blackjack and ripped Vegas off for loads and loads of money. Now, the funny thing is, Ethan was at M.I.T. when all this was going down. And I could totally be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure they weren't involved in exciting car chases/shoot outs, or having sex with multiple hot women. Also, not to judge, but my guess is that no one looked like the main character of the movie either, because of course, he's all Hollywood -- fashionable and hot. Personally, I think the hottest guy at M.I.T. was the president of Kappa Sigma. And he certainly wasn't very fashionable.

Part of me wants to see this movie, because I think it would be funny. But part of me is annoyed on Ethan's behalf, because I know it would piss him off that the whole thing was misrepresented. Anyway, it's interesting to see this part of M.I.T. getting all glammed up.

2 comments:

Alpha Monkey said...

Manos, the Hands of Fate WAS a terrible movie. I wonder if there is a Mystery Science Theater version of it.

An old coworker said his brother was involved in a scheme at MIT similar to the one in Bringing Down the House. It happened about 20 years before the events in the book. I don't think they were involved in any car chases/shoot outs, but they did win some cash.

Anonymous said...

Manos, the Hands of Fate was indeed terrible.

And yet so, so wonderful.