Monday, February 05, 2007

La la la la la la

So I actually got that course my boss originally signed me up for in August, and I bought some books on PERL. I think my boss was mad that I didn't come to him and ask to borrow his books, but I thought that if I'm actually going to be doing coding, it might be nice to have some books of my own around for reference. Also, I don't know how helpful a book written in 1997 would be; the programming environment can be pretty dynamic.

All this has brought up some conflicting emotions however. I'm excited to be learning something new, especially something seen as "smart" or "difficult" by those who don't know how to do it. After all, I am an intellectual snob. Also, I think this will diversify my skills and make it easier for me to find other jobs in other offices. However, I am worried about being pigeonholed into the role of programmer instead of forecaster in my office. For example, there is a lady who works here who used to be a forecaster. Once she got into the LINUX programming, though, she got stuck in there for the rest of her career. That's fine for her because that's what she likes. But I'm not sure I want to be a computer programmer for the rest of my life. Then again, this lady works M-F, 9 to 5, which is very appealing. So I don't know how I feel about all this. I guess the best tactic is to go full force, take advantage of this opportunity and learn these skills, and then see how and where I want to use them.

On a totally unrelated note, I have this song stuck in my head that I learned when I was at summer camp approximately 17 years ago. Why on earth did it pop up now, and when oh when will it go away?

No comments: