Thursday, November 02, 2006

We pahked the cah to go to the pahty

What American accent do you have?
Your Result: The Inland North

You may think you speak "Standard English straight out of the dictionary" but when you step away from the Great Lakes you get asked annoying questions like "Are you from Wisconsin?" or "Are you from Chicago?" Chances are you call carbonated drinks "pop."

The Northeast

Philadelphia

The Midland

The South

Boston

The West

North Central

What American accent do you have?
Take More Quizzes


OK, the little table doesn't display correctly and I don't feel like going into the html to figure out why. But basically, just imagine that the first bar is at 80%, the second at 75%, and the rest progressively less.

I find this interesting, because apparently I picked up quite a bit of the Ohio accent when I was at Ohio State. This could be partially because the 'rents lived in Ohio for a number of years before I was born, so maybe they had some influences and I picked those up from them. I always though my parents had no accent, but when my roommates in college met them, I was told they had Southern accents (Dad's from Arkansas, Mom's from Florida). So I've had quite a bit of influence from different regional accents over the years.

And I used to call carbonated drinks pop, but only because I lived in Ohio. In D.C., we called them coke. You would go to a fast food restaurant, say "I'd like a coke" and they would say "What kind?" In fact, I had a brain fart the other day where I ordered a small coke and was surprised to find out that she actually gave me a Coke. Now I think I say soda. I'm not really sure where that came from.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I think the accents we are used to hearing as a kid play a huge part in shaping the we in which we speak as adults. I lived with my aunt and uncle when I was a kid for a couple years and as a result my accent is quite different to that of my folks and where I live. I get called posh a lot(ha)!