Sunday, November 19, 2006

Our Thanksgiving Entree: Roasted Wolverine

OSU won! 42 to 39. Just in case you hadn't heard.

The party went great. I was really worried about the cheese fondue, but it turned out really well. Oh yeah, this was the menu:

chips and dip
veggies and dip
cheddar cheese fondue (made with beer!)
chili
cornbread
buckeyes (chocolate covered peanut butter balls that look like a buckeye nut)
pumpkin roll
beer and wine
sodas

The cheese fondue was a big hit and I think I might do fondue again. Especially since now I have the Sterno cans. For a little more entertainment, I drew up a scorechart and had everyone place their guesses in the blocks. Too bad I only went up to 40 points -- I thought it was going to be a low scoring game. Anyway, the guy who won (I had a little prize for whoever was closest) was the friend of mine who always wins everything! It drives me and my other friends nuts. H and I are constantly trying to think of ways to keep him from winning, but he's just so damn lucky! I guess you can't hold that against him, though.

Overall, I think everyone had a good time. And the Bucks won, which is always great!

Now, it's time to think about Thanksgiving and my MIL's birthday, which is on Nov 26. I promised I would make a lemon meringue pie because it's her favorite and SIL doesn't want to do it. I've never done this before, so it could be interesting.

Thanksgiving, I'm working again, which is annoying because it's my favorite holiday and I work almost every year. Grrr! One of these years I'll have off, and I'll get to have a nice relaxing Thanksgiving, and it will be nice. Hopefully the in-laws will share some turkey with me. I love turkey and we only have it once or twice a year because it's such a PITA to make.

My friend Poi is having turducken for Thanksgiving. For those of you who are not familiar with this delicacy, it's a turkey stuffed with a chicken, which is stuffed with a duck. I have heard that it's delicious...but for some reason, I have trouble handling the thought of all that meat. It's like that pizza E always wants to order at the Moose's Tooth -- High Protein Land. It's got two kinds of sausage, pepperoni, and ham. Ugh. Give me some vegetables, please!

The other problem with turducken is that you have to cook it for 8 hours. Not that a turkey cooks that much quicker, but turducken is a whole damn day! Not worth it in my book. I am interested in trying it, but not interested in committing the time. Maybe I'll see if I can finagle an invite....of course Poi lives in NJ, so I doubt I'll make it down in time for the turducken, even if she did invite me.

Totally off topic, but it has occurred to me that The Nuthouse is a particularly appropriate name for my blog since I'm a Buckeye fan. Nice how the whole squirrel thing fits into my personality so well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Turducken? Sounds nasty! I would never eat anything with a "turd" in it...

L said...

LOL! I never even thought of that!!