Friday, September 07, 2007

Fantasies

I've been to 2 classes so far of my Engineers in Organizations course, and I have to say, I kind of like it. Sure, it seems all boring when I read the book, but then when we talk about making plans in class, I get all nerdily excited. I love making plans! That's something I'm pretty good at. So maybe this project management thing will work out after all.

Yesterday, we worked on a problem in small groups: Stacy Engineer has just graduated with her engineering management degree. She is looking forward to having a life filled with excitement and happiness. Of course, she is excited about her new degree, but she isn't sure how to have a life filled with happiness. What she needs is a road map. How would you help her?

Well, my first instinct is to say: Relax, woman! You can't force happiness. Also, you might want to change your last name, because it's really dorky.

Of course, this is one of those stupid book problems that make the person sound all cheesy. What they were trying to do is to walk you through the planning process by making a life plan for this person. So that's what we did.

Now my teacher has assigned us the same problem for homework, but to apply it to ourselves -- in other words, make a life plan for ourselves. And again, I'm nerdily excited. Ethan and I make goals every year, so basically I'll be doing that to a large extent. I can't wait to think about all the things I want to do -- like going to Japan! And buying a house! And having a beautiful garden! Who doesn't like to fanatsize about their future life?

On to more current fantasy stuff: fantasy football starts this weekend. This year I joined the office team at the suggestion of my coworker, even though I was nervous because I don't follow NFL very much. One of my players is Reggie Wayne, who racked up a whole bunch of points last night in the Saints vs. Colts game. So that was encouraging! I think I'm going to enjoy this fantasy football thing, as long as the rest of my players don't suck.

No comments: